The answers are simple:
Why Piñon? The answers are simple:
When people want to relax with a fire, they now have an option of luxury. Piñon firewood has become the go-to firewood for those wanting the ultimate in an outdoor or indoor fire experience.
Why Piñon? The answers are simple:
- Incredible aroma! The aroma of piñon is unmistakable and makes you feel like you are camping in Santa Fe under the stars. Often described as relaxing, the fresh smell fills the air around you and takes you back to the Holidays.
- Burns clean and lights easily! Lighting easier than hardwoods like oak, piñon burns cleaner with less smoke and less ash to clean up.
- Repels insects and mosquitoes! Piñon firewood REPELS MOSQUITOES making the back porch an option all year long!
With piñon firewood, fires are not just for those chilly nights but can be enjoyed all year long. Place a few piñon logs in your outdoor fireplace, fire pit, or chiminea and watch the mosquitoes and other flying insects disappear. Not only will you get to enjoy your backyard again, but it will smell amazing!
The piñon (or pinyon, or pinion) pine group grows in the southwestern United States and in Mexico. Our piñon firewood comes from the Indian Head Ranch in Las Vegas, New Mexico. In this area, the species of piñon is the pinus edulis or the Colorado Piñon, often called New Mexico Piñon. The pinus edulis is the state tree of New Mexico and is known for its aromatic fragrance and its piñon nuts. The edible seeds, pine nuts, are extensively collected throughout its range; in many areas, the seed harvest rights are owned by Native American tribes, for whom the species is of immense cultural and economic importance. High-quality New Mexico piñon is rare because it only grows at 5,500 to 7,500 feet elevation and most of the population of high-quality piñon trees in New Mexico have been devastated due to drought and bark beetle attack.
– Woods like hickory, mesquite, oaks, and pecan are better for cooking because they can add good flavors.
– Unfortunately, piñon firewood is not good for cooking as it will make your food taste bad. (Note: Cooking s’mores with piñon is just fine because the bad taste comes from the smoke piñon puts out and you cook s’mores near the coals or in flames.)
– While not many people still rely on firewood to heat their home, some still use it as a supplement.
– High BTU output is important; Hardwood generally provide high BTUs
– Piñon firewood, considered the “hardwood” of the softwoods, produces impressive heat.
Just for pleasure:
– When using firewood for pleasure, you want something that is easily to light, burns cleans, and doesn’t leave you smelling like a nasty fire.
– While oak is most frequently used due to its abundance in the United States and consequent cheap price, it can be very hard to light, requiring lighter fluid or other chemical-filled firestarters. Then once burning it creates a smoky atmosphere that, as we all know, will stay with you and your clothes until thoroughly cleaned.
Piñon firewood is, by far, the most desirable firewood for pleasure-seekers. It is easy to light and burns clean. Once lit, the wonderful aroma that fills the air is something that you actually wish could stay with you! What’s more, piñon firewood actually acts as a natural insect repellant, eliminating the need for excessive sprays or citronella candles in the outdoors.
But please note: There are different types of piñon offered as firewood and they should not be considered equal. The two most sold are the Mexican Pinyon and the New Mexico Piñon. The Mexican Pinyon will commonly be sold in chunks with no bark. A much drier piñon, it burns quickly and has less aroma than other types.
For pleasure burning, the New Mexico Piñon is the only option.
Firewood is measured by the cord. A full cord of firewood equals 128 cubic feet, this corresponds to a woodpile 4 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 8 feet long. Cords of firewood are always measured when stacked.
1/4 CORD = 4 ft tall X 2 ft wide X 4 ft long (32 cubic feet)
Look here fore more information about firewood measurements